Monday, April 6, 2009

Reading about Internet Safety

For the reading assignment, I chose to read "An Ensign to the Nations, a Light to the World" by President Gordon B. Hinckley. After reading this article and the other articles assigned, I decided that one of the most important things I learned was the need to be open and address the dangers of internet. If children are aware, then they will be better prepared with how to deal with it if it crosses their path. Also, by talking about it openly, it dissipates curiosity about what it actually is and it lessens the shame if they accidentally come across it. Another thing I thought was important was to address the positive, uplifting factors of technology. By replacing bad things with good things, children will be able to be tech savvy without having to feel the negative consequences of degrading media.

One thing that I will do as a teacher and/or parent is talk about internet safety with my children so that they are aware of the dangers. Also, I will have them talk about what rules they think it is important to follow. If children come up with the rules themselves, then they are more likely to follow them. By having this discussion, they will see why it is important to make these decisions before a dangerous situation presents itself.

One way that I can have a positive influence on family and friends is to let them know about the things I've learned from my reading. I think the 7 things that Elder Ballard mentioned in his article were especially helpful, and I am going to share them with my mom. Also, when talking about the influence of technology, I can give positive alternatives about how to use technology in fun, productive ways that others may not have thought of before.

No comments:

Post a Comment